The Creightons Green Road – locally known as the “Holywood Hooks” - was first used as a Croft hillclimb venue on June 19th 1931. We can’t be sure how many times Croft has been run, however it seems there were two events in each of the early years with William (Billy) Sullivan winning both in 1931, on what was originally a 1580yd course. The course has now shortened to approximately 850m. We do know that Croft has been revived at least twice over the years, after periods of inactivity. Initially Croft was run by members of the Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club. In the latter half of the 20th Century it was run by the Belfast, Bangor and Newtownards Motor Club, who often had a class for gearbox Karts, and then the 500MRCI before the TSCC took over in 1989.
The lower part of the circuit is comprised of three ‘hairpin’ bends but then opens up into a short straight at the end of which is a tricky square left hand corner (the braking area for this corner is bumpy and catches some drivers unaware!). There are two further right hand corners, approached by short straights, which require committed driving to achieve a competitive time. Entry numbers are invariably high reflecting the level of organization at these events and the enjoyable nature of the course.